Petawawa Animal Hospital

3261 Petawawa Blvd.
Petawawa, ON K8H 1X8

(613)687-2536

petawawaanimalhospital.com

Winter & Holiday Hazards

Plants to Avoid    

  • Lilies, such as Tiger, Asian, Japanese Show, Easter, Stargazer, and the Casa Blanca can cause kidney failure in cats.
  • Poinsettias, if ingested, can be irritating to the mouth and stomach, and may cause mild vomiting or nausea.
  • Mistletoe has the potential to cause cardiovascular problems, but it usually only causes gastrointestinal upset.
  • Holly could cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea and lethargy.   

  Hazards Around the Christmas Tree:

  • Christmas tree water may contain fertilizers, which can cause stomach upset if ingested.
  • Electric cords, if chewed, could electrocute your pet. Cover up or hide cords and never let your pet chew on them.
  • Ribbons or tinsel can get caught up in the intestines and cause intestinal obstruction.
  • Batteries contain corrosives, and if ingested, can cause ulceration to the mouth, tongue, and the intestinal tract.
  • Glass ornaments can cut the tissues of the gastrointestinal tract if ingested, or may cut paw pads if broken on the floor.
  • Potpourri fragrances burning could be ingested by the pet if spilled on them. Ingestion from grooming the liquid off could result in severe oral, dermal, and ocular damage.      

 Other Winter Hazards:

  • Antifreeze has a sweet taste that pets like. Very small amounts can be lethal. As little as a teaspoon can be deadly to cats and less then 4 teaspoons can be dangerous to a 10lb dog. Make sure to clean up any spills and store antifreeze in tightly closed containers. If you think your pet may have ingested antifreeze, call your veterinarian right away. 
  • Ice melting products can be irritating to skin and mouth. Signs of ingestion would include excessive drooling, depression, vomiting and even electrolyte imbalances. There are pet friendly products out on the market.
  • Rat and mouse poison should be placed in areas that are inaccessible to your pets.